Change Log

This page is a list of significant changes that have occurred on the site. It does not include minor updates for spelling corrections, format, layout, consequential changes etc.
Dec 2016  Amendments and additions to a number of pages following searches of the National Library of Wales online newspaper archive for “Merioneth” AND “manganese”.
14 Dec 2015  Various presentation changes to top-of-page menus. Search page removed as it had been superseded by the more powerful search facilities in Wilkinson’s searchable gazetteer and bibligraphy of the mines and quarries of north Wales, which includes links to this site in its results.
23 May 2013  Cyfannedd Fawr mine added.
18 Sep 2012  Edward Wadham: page added.
25 Dec 2010  Ellis Pritchard: updated to include information about dealings with blacksmith Griffith Roberts of Talsarnau.
21 Dec 2010  Samuel Pope and Dyffryn Mining Co. Ltd: updated following sight of agreement by Pope to buy shares in the company.
20 Dec 2010  Moel Mochowgryn: remains information updated and plan and photos added.
13 Sep 2010  Barmouth: 1894 photograph of entrance at SH613160 added.
23 Mar 2010  Samuel Pope: additional information about Pope’s non-manganese mining interests.
21 Dec 2009  Dolbebin, Egryn, Foel Wen: ownership and employment figures amended. Hudson’s Consolidated Ltd and R Wright added.
25 Nov 2009  Llyn Eiddew Mawr: alternative name Craig Ddwrg added. History: mention of choir from Craig Ddwrg mine added.
20 May 2009  Cae Mab Seifion, Cefn y Clawdd: employment figures added. Coed, Cwm Yr Afon: employment figures amended.
19 May 2009  Mynydd Nodol: remains information updated and photos added.
17 Feb 2009  Mynydd Nodol: remains information updated following site visit.
1 Jan 2009  Votty: remains information updated and photographs added following site visit.
9 Jun 2008  Gwaith Ellis Pritchard: information updated following conversation with Harrold Morris.
1 Jan 2008  Hafotty: remains information updated and photographs of smithy added following site visit.
24 Apr 2007  Cambrian, Great Northern and Mynydd Nodol mines, Great Northern Manganese Co. Ltd and Samuel James Hennis: page updates.
19 Feb 2007  Graig Uchaf and Rhinog: photographs and information about sites added following visit.
6 Feb 2007  Moel Llyfnant: photographs and information about site added following visit.
3 Feb 2007  Bryn Mawr: photograph and further information about site added following visit.
26 Jan 2007  Samuel James Hennis: page added.
27 Nov 2006  Cae Mab Seifion: location ammended and photographs added following visit. Cae Mab Seifion North East reemoved and data incorporated in Cae Mab Seifion. Egryn: photographs of lower ropeway terminus aded.
14 Nov 2006  H J Wright: photograph and further biographical information added.
10 Sep 2006  Ffridd Llwyn Gurfal: information about site added following visit.
2 Sep 2006  Ellis Pritchard: photograph added.
28 Aug 2006  Ffridd Llwyn Gurfal: location amended.
20 Aug 2006  Bryn Mawr added following site visit by Harold Morris.
8 Apr 2006  Caefadog and Rhydyfen: locations amended.
3 Apr 2006  Pennant added.
19 Jan 2006  Cefn y Clawdd: note about haulier Morris Jones ‘Pant Coch’ added.
26 Dec 2005  Entry added for Cae’n-y-bwlch Uchaf. Hafotty: additional information about transport to railway station. Hendrecerrig: location amended and information added following site visit.
10 Dec 2005  Entries added to Mine companies and associated persons for W Bowen-Jones and Cadwaladr Humphreys.
13 Oct 2005  Cell Fawr, Egryn and Hafotty: aerial photographs added.
11 Oct 2005  Note on manganese toxicity added to History and Access, conservation and safety.
13 Sep 2005  Coed and Dolbebin: information updated and photographs added following site visits.
27 Jun 2005  Cefn y Clawdd: information updated and photographs added following site visit.
13 Jun 2005  Charles Herbert Stokes: biographical information updated.
10 Jun 2005  H S Lancaster and Joshua Lancaster: biographical information updated.
4 Jun 2005  Cwm Mawr No 1, Cwm Mawr No 2 and Ffridd Tyddyn Du: plan updated.
2 May 2005  Cwm Mawr No 1, Cwm Mawr No 2 and Ffridd Tyddyn Du: information updated and photographs added following site visits.
17 Oct 2004  Pages for W A Hills, Edward Mounsey & Co. Ltd, G Spargo and J A Wylie added.
15 Oct 2004  Information from PRO files added to Barmouth Consols Copper, Silver-Lead & Gold Mining Co. Ltd, Cwmmynach Manganese Syndicate Ltd, Dyffryn Mining Co. Ltd, Great Northern Manganese Co. Ltd, Harlech Mining Co. Ltd, Llanbedr Mining Co. Ltd, Merionethshire Manganese Co. Ltd, Moelwyn Mining Co. Ltd, Welsh Manganese Co. Ltd and Welsh Mineral Co. Ltd. Entry for Llechwedd Ddu mine combined with Harlech. Additional detail added to Geology page. Notes on local geology of manganese bed added to Cwm Mawr No. 1, CwmYrAfon, Hafotty, Hendre, Lletty Walter, Llyn Dywarchen, Llyn Eiddew Mawr, Moelfre, Moel Mochowgryn and Mynydd Nodol.
2 Sep 2004  Cilcychwyn and Foel Wen: information about tramways added following map inspection.
21 Mar 2004  Cefn Trevor Bach: location revised and information added following site visit.
8 Mar 2004  Diphwys New: information updated following site visit.
24 Jan 2004  Diphwys: sketch of conjectural arrangement of ropeway added.
10 Jan 2004  Moel Llyfnant: remains information updated following information published in Welsh Mines Society newsletter.
20 Dec 2003  Gwaith Ellis Pritchard: information updated and photographs added following site visit.
8 Dec 2003  Llyn Du Bach and Llyn Dywarchen: information updated following site visit.
2 Dec 2003  Coed and Lletty Walter: photographs added and information updated following site visit.
23 Nov 2003  List of Crown Mineral Grants for manganese added.
9 Nov 2003  Cilcychwyn and Foel Wen: information updated and photographs added following site visit.
3 Oct 2003  Hafotty: plan showing alternative line of tramway (based on 6" OS map of 1900) added.
29 Sep 2003  Anna Maria: information about request to Cambrian Railway to search for manganese added. Cefn Trevor Bach: note to say no remains located during site visit. Ralltgoch: information about possible location updated.
8 Aug 2003  Fron Feuno: information updated and photographs added following a site visit.
27 Jul 2003  Union: information updated following a site visit.
19 Jul 2003  Locations of Bronwen and Harlech revised following site visit. Ty Newydd page removed following identification as alternative name for Harlech.
7 Jul 2003  Caerffynnon (manganese trial) added.
24 Jun 2003  Bryneglwys (manganese trial) added.
12 Jun 2003  Anna Maria (manganese trial) added.
6 Jun 2003  Cilcychwyn: photo of fish-belly rail gatepost added. Hendre: general view of mine from across Cwm Nantcol added. Rhinog: information updated and photos added following a site visit. Chart showing the recorded production of manganese in Merionethshire from 1867 to 1928 added to history.
7 May 2003  Search facility added allowing searches to be made for mines within a given distance of a grid reference or named place or mine. (This facility has since been removed as it has been superseded by the more powerful search facilities in Wilkinson’s searchable gazetteer and bibligraphy of the mines and quarries of north Wales, which includes links to this site in its results.)
30 Apr 2003  Capel Engedi and Rhyd Galed: information updated following a site visit.
27 Apr 2003  Information about lead miners from Flintshire moving to Llanbedr in 1880s added to History page.
6 Apr 2003  Diphwys: information updated and photographs added following a site visit.
29 Mar 2003  Cae Mab Seifion: page updated following a site visit.
13 Mar 2003  Cae Mab Seifion North East: remains information added following a site visit which found no obvious sign of manganese mining.
7 Mar 2003  Cae Mab Seifion: location revised, remains information updated and photographs added. Placeholder pages added for unlocated mines Brynifan, Brynifan, Fridd Dinas, Garneddwen, Llanaber, Moel Llyfnant, Park and Sgethin listed by Wilkinson [2003].
22 Feb 2003  Cwm yr Afon: remains information updated and photographs added.
31 Jan 2003  Approximate locations added for Garth Hill and Pistyll Gwyn. Information added to Mynydd Nodol
27 Jan 2003  Note added to Geology about possible pyrites deposits at Coed and Lletty’r Wialch.
24 Jan 2003  Remains information updated for Coed and Lletty Walter.
14 Jan 2003  Barmouth church yard entrance identified as a mineral trial. Information about geological context of Dinas Oleu and Garn added.
23 Dec 2002  Egryn: photograph of tips added.
15 Dec 2002  Page relating manganese mining sites in the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Sites and Monuments Record to the individual mine pages on this site. Duplicate and/or possibly erroneous entries are annotated.
6 Oct 2002  Crafnant: remains information and plan updated and photographs added.
30 Sep 2002  Hendre: remains information updated and plan of smithy and photographs added.
15 Sep 2002  Possible mining sites Caefadog, Cwm Cottage and Rhydyfen added. D W Davies, R J Lloyd Price, William Owen and E Watkins added to Mine companies and associated persons.
14 Sep 2002  Crafnant: information added about lease negotiations in 1917. Nant Yr Helfa: information added on interest in the mine in 1886 and leases in 1906. Information added to Mining, Processing and Transport on licensing of mines to owners.
31 Aug 2002  Penarth: photographs added. Lletty Walter: remains information updated.
21 Jul 2002  Egryn: photographs of smithy added.
1 Jul 2002  Ralltgoch added. Entry added to Mine companies and associated persons for Richard Williams
30 Jun 2002  Entry added to Mine companies and associated persons for Cwmmynach Manganese Syndicate Ltd.
29 Jun 2002  Cae Coch, Llanenddwyn and Moelwyn (Gwaith Mango) mines added. Entries added to Mine companies and associated persons for John Paynter and Jones Paynter & Co.. New information on earliest recorded date of manganese mining in Merioneth added to History. Information added on manganese mining at Llan y Cil in 1823 and 1824.
20 Jun 2002  Llyn Eiddew Mawr: photographs added.
18 Jun 2002  Entry added to Mine companies and associated persons for Rees Evans.
17 Jun 2002  Photographs of Cilcychwyn, Foel Wen and Moelfre added.
10 Jun 2002  Entries added to Mine companies and associated persons for Andrew Anderson, R Cadwaladr, Cambrian Manganese Co., G Lewis, I Lewis, Morris & Williams, C Roberts and Thomas O Williams. Addresses added to Mine companies and associated persons for G A Claughton, Thomas Evans, F B Haigh, William Lewis, Samuel Pope, Ellis Pritchard, William Simon, Edward W Turner, Mrs Laura Williams and H J Wright. 1918 ownership and manpower records added for Bronwen, Coed, Cwm yr Afon, Dolbebin, Egryn, Foel Wen, Fronallt, Hendre, Lletty Walter, Llyn Eiddew Mawr, Penarth, Rhinog and Votty.
9 Jun 2002  Bwlch Cwmorthin added. Information added for Bronwen.
10 May 2002  Hafotty: information added about underground workings.
7 May 2002  Hafod Boeth: information added.
25 Apr 2002  Arenig area map added. Sections (based on mine abandonment plans) added to Coed, Dolbebin and Lletty Walter. Note on local manufacture of sledges for manganese added to Mining, Processing and Transport
8 Apr 2002  Photographs of Cwm Mynach added. Remains information updated for Cae Mab Seifion. Photograph showing general situation of Diffwys old added. Photograph of manganese ore specimen added to Geology.
23 Mar 2002  Photograph of one of the Cell Fechan entrances added. Note on additional Cell Fawr underground working.
16 Mar 2002  Additional photographs added to Barmouth. Photographs of Dinas Oleu and Garn added.
13 Mar 2002  Photographs and information about underground workings added to Barmouth.
19 Feb 2002  Photograph and information about underground working added to Cell Fawr, more photographs added to Hafotty.
16 Feb 2002  Remains information added or expanded for Cae Mab Seifion, Cwm Mynach, Dinas Oleu, Graig Uchaf and Moel Mochowgryn, Rhinog.
13 Feb 2002  Note on miner productivity added to Mining, processing and transport page.
4 Feb 2002  Red Dragon added.
2 Feb 2002  Bryn Ffolt added. Additional information added to Drws y Nant and Hafotty.
21 Jan 2002  Manganese uses and Manganese trade pages added.
19 Jan 2002  Mining, Processing and Transport added.
18 Jan 2002  Mention of interest in manganese in 1956 added to History. Links added from photographs to higher-resolution originals where available.
17 Jan 2002  Six photographs added to Hafotty, one photograph added to Egryn.
16 Jan 2002  History page added.
9 Jan 2002  Geology page added.
7 Jan 2002  External link to OS 1:50,000 map added to grid references in Location on mine pages.
6 Jan 2002  Approximate location of Pen Isa’r Cwm added to combined plan of mines in Cwm Nantcol. Portion of area map added to combined plan of mines from Egryn to Barmouth to provide context.
1 Jan 2002  Photographs of adit portal at Lletty’r Wialch and surface working at Llyn Du Bach added. Entries for Short & Co. and William Williams added. Notes on location of Cefn Trefor Bach and Hendrecerrig added.
30 Dec 2001  Addition to Transport section of Llyn Du Bach and Llyn Dywarchen. Photographs of Lletty’r Wialch open stope added. (Previously associated with Lletty Walter in error.)
27 Dec 2001  Addition to discussion of location of Artro mine. Cambrian and Cwm Mawr 1 identified as possibly the same mine. Note about name Hendre No. 1 used for Hendre added. Merionethshire Manganese Co. Ltd added. Information on origin of Gwynedd Archaeological Trust’s mine records added to About these pages. Note on mine plan accuracy moved from Introduction to About these pages.
26 Dec 2001  Updates to remains section for Cell Fawr (entrance to an underground working found) and Cell Fechan (amendment to location of underground workings) following brief site visits. Combined plans added for Egryn to Barmouth, Cwm Nantcol, Moel Ysgyfarnogod and Mynydd Cwm Mynach mines. Date of last site visit added to Remains section of mine pages. This change log created.
23 Dec 2001  Introduction written. Site publicised on mining-history list.
8 Dec 2001  Page design stabilised and representative content created. Site uploaded for invited comment.
21 Nov 2001  First upload of site to server for testing and invited comment.
7 Nov 2001  Site development commenced.


Front page